"Be who you are, and say what you feel, because those who mind, don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.



Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Thank God For Ibuprofen!

A few years ago, I thought I wanted to be an orthodontist. I would write essays, create projects, and talk about the subject of orthodontics all the time. I had ideas written down about my office, and my co-workers. I planned on, when, and if I got married, I wouldn't change my last name. I would be Dr. Mohler. My life would be perfect. I would be waking up doing something I loved, living in a giant mansion, and have the best name in the state. Everyone would want to come to me  But, just like every human being on this earth, my ideas and opinion changed.

In eighth I did a project about my, at the time, dream job. I was excited, but at the same time nervous to present my ideas to my class. I was confident that my essay was the best, my presentation was amazing, and my visuals were outstanding. I knew I was going to get a good grade. I researched for about two weeks, learning everything I possibly could about becoming an orthodontist. I also talked to my orthodontist about the project, and he was kind enough to let me use a few items to show to the class. Right then, and there, I knew my project was going to be the Best of the Best. After researching, I had found some interesting facts that just blew my mind away. From there, I continued on reading on and on, in hopes I would find more facts worthy of a one-hundred. After the second week of researching, I began to lose interest in the subject. Everything I had read, I over though, and it soon became "gross" in my mind. Then, the though of sticking my hands in other people's mouths hit me, and I officially threw my hands up. I carried on with the subject for the remainder of my project, but my heart wasn't in it fully. I had though my passion for orthodontics had been one.

On August 8th, 2010 something terrible had happened to me. I took it as a message from God, telling me that orthodontics WAS in fact my thing, but, he must have though I just needed a reminder. It was my softball end of the year party. The right fielder was hosting the party, which I though was awesome because she had a pool. At the time, yeah, it was great. But, once again, my opinion changed. My teammates and I were all getting ready to go into the pool, and start playing games. We even were good, and waited thirty minutes to go swimming. But, being good must have not been enough for me, I might have only waited twenty-five minutes, and Karma came back to haunt me. All my friends were getting in the pool by going off the slide. I was the last to get in. They were all doing these really, really RISKY tricks off the slide that looked cool, but they turned out to be a bad idea. After I sat in the Luke warm water watching all my "crazy" friends do flips and different stunts, they were all chanting my name. "AMANDA, AMANDA, AMANDA!" I knew the tricks were dangerous, and I was definitely not going to be preforming them, so I proceeded to the slide and went down on my bottom, in hopes I would be receiving a metal for the safest way down a slide, but I wasn't. My friends were booing at me. They kept telling me that was "too safe", and that I needed to do something really cool. I gave them a smile, but hidden behind it was fear. I walked up to the slide again, stood at the top and proceed to tell them that I have never been down a slide head first. They all looked shocked, but continued on chanting "DO IT, DO IT, DO IT!"

Here is my advise to you in this part of the story. Never, EVER go down a slide head first. It's dangerous, it's stupid, and it is just wrong. Slides were meant to go down with your feet in front of you, not BEHIND you.

Anyways...

When I positioned myself at the top of the slide, I looked down to see all my friends waiting for me. I opened my arms like a bird, and slowly pushed myself away from the slide. I closed my eyes, and smiled a great big "Amanda Mohler" smile. When I hit the water, I felt nothing. Everything went silent as the water filled my ears. I felt my face hit something, but I wasn't sure what it was. I kicked off of the bottom of the pool, and shot up to the surface. When the water came streaming out of my mouth, I felt instant pain in my front teeth. Everyone was cheering, and screaming for me, but my screaming over powered them. They all stopped, and watched water flow down my face not knowing if it was excess water from the pool, or tears. They were tears. I was screaming gibberish but, fitting in real words that made everyone rush over to me. I walked over to the edge of the pool screaming that someone would wake me up from this horrible nightmare, but no one did. After a soild thirty seconds, all the mothers came running over, and helped me out of the pool. I ended up chipping more than half of my tooth, and making other front one wiggley.

Yesterday, as I sat in a chair with a light and an orthodotist leaning over me with their hands in my mouth, I couldn't help but think of those times.  I blocked every sound out, and just thought about that moment, and how I felt. I was completely devestated. I looked at my orthodontists (beautuiful sky blue eyes) as he was trying to tell me something. I flashed back into the chair. He was telling me about what changes he had made to my retainer, and how I will be feeling alittle bit of discomfort. I did somewhat of a nod, and put it back into my mouth.

Here I am, a day later wishing I didn't have to have this STUPID, painful, ugly retainer in my mouth. Hoping that the one tooth that is in need of fixing could just move to the right spot, and STAY there. I am waiting for the day that I can burn all my retainers that have ever costed me a great meal that I couldn't chew, or the pain I had to be in well I layed on the couch. Here I am, with this foolish retainer in my mouth, and a new best friend. Ibuprofen.

No comments:

Post a Comment